Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Wednesday Wisdom I - You Will Always Look Lovely


This here is the quote that I plastered on my Instagram bio, and that I remember everyday when I'm challenged by life with someone who annoys me, with something not going the way I planned, with times when I feel blue.

It's important to remember the magic of life, and to remember that silly little quote that holds a great deal of resonance: "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

I'm known for being the 'positive' and 'airy-fairy' one of my friendship group, and have had that kind of title since I was very young...it's draining to pretend you're happy all the time, but honestly all up until the end of Year 12 I felt that I had a facade to keep up here - and it made me resent it. It made me resent the different moods that others seemed to be able to experience throughout the day, getting mad at someone one minute, crying the next, and then being friends with them by the time the end-of-school-time bell rang. And then I remembered that it's your thoughts that dictate how you feel and how you appear to others.

If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.

I've grown to love my airy-fairy-ness (if we can call that a word haha) but at the same time I've learned more about how I actually feel by analysing my thoughts - and I'm not always happy. I've grown closer to my friends because I've opened up more about vulnerability and hurt, instead of being all bubbles and laughter, though I suppose that's what the quote is advocating to an extent.

Be a ray of sunshine and others will be attracted to that. It's not always true. Of course, nobody likes a negative Nelly, but no one can feel intimately close to you unless you open up...and become more human, I suppose.

For now, I'm keeping that quote in my mind, as I adore it, and adore the idea of someone who is eternally happy and fun, but I'm also keeping in mind the reality of the idea of eternal happiness - it's not real, but that doesn't mean we can't strive for it. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment